[ovs-discuss] VLANs and DHCP

Jeff Forbes jeff.forbes at mail.nacon.com
Fri Oct 2 13:11:07 UTC 2015

I have set up the openvswitch demo for isolating VM traffic using VLANs.
The setup works as expected. The difficulty I am having is with using
DHCP to assign the IPs. The two VLANs have IP ranges of 10.0.0.x and
10.0.1.x and the netmasks are 255.255.0.0. I have been able to get
dnsmasq to assigned IPs for one of the VLANs by  assigning an internal
openvswitch port on the DHCP server the ip of 10.0.0.1 and the tag of
one of the VLANs.

The goal is to be able to have multiple vlans with IPs in the 10.0.x.y
range and have them assigned IPs based on the VMs MAC address.
What is the best way to have the DHCP daemon recognize the different
VLANs?

I tried to use the trunk directive, but dnamasq did not respond to the
broadcast DHCP request.

The reason for using the 10.0.x.y address space is that we would like to
be able to have some of the VLANs be able to communicate between each
other without changing the VLAN tag. Is there a way of doing this?

Jeff Forbes