[ovs-discuss] OVN - CIF

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Thu Oct 8 15:11:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 12:24 AM, Murali R <muralirdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see this statement in the the arch doc
> http://benpfaff.org/~blp/dist-docs/ovn-architecture.7.html
>
> "OVN uses this mechanism and uses VLAN as the tagging mechanism.",
>
> after providing 2 methods of CIF handling - 1:1 vif mapped or parent mapped.
> From other discussions it looked like one could have "overlay" or "underlay"
> modes for ovn. So is this a new development in version 7 of the arch?

The "underlay" is another name that I use for vlan tagged mechanism.
There has been no change in the architecture recently.

> The option of vlan tagged parent vif for cif is good but there are use cases
> for nfv where the infra is agnostic.

I think you misunderstand. The "vlan" is only used for context. The
"vlan" mentioned here has got nothing to do with the physical
infrastructure. The vlan tagged packets reach hypervisor, where they
get stripped of the vlan headers and then get onto a overlay tunnel to
travel to another hypervisor. In the destination hypervisor, depending
on the destination container, a different vlan is slapped onto the
packet and sent to the VM.