[ovs-discuss] [ovn] API related questions

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Oct 12 21:28:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 01:32:04PM -0500, Murali R wrote:
> > Maybe you should explain what you are trying to accomplish.
>
> You can imagine a sort traffic manager that will manage how to traverse a
> set of destinations (lports in this case). The GBP and SFC as it stands
> with neutron today are not useful for our use cases. And using OVN, not
> everything can be accomplished from static configuration that is possible
> now. But OVN looks like a great fit for what we need otherwise and
> generally in our timeline. I am not planning to use Neutron with OVN if I
> am not forced to. Currently using it for L3 and DHCP and also general
> network management in the background for a quick poc which needs to work
> end of this month.
>
> Considering we can only change logical flows from northd, I may have to
> look into how to modify northd to expose the kind of api needed. If you
> folks can define a high level api along the lines of ofctl add-flow, it
> will take quite a bit load off my shoulders :) and make OVN very useful.
> One my framework is ready I can help out on ovn modules (generally external
> facing) later in about 2 months.
>
> If we need to discuss more details on use cases, we need to get into some
> non-disclosures which I don't mind initiating.

The "normal" way to add a feature to OVN would be to figure out how to
express it in the OVN_Northbound schema.  (That might require extensions
or other updates to the schema, which is fine at this point.)  Then the
rest of the system, ovn-northd particularly and in some cases
ovn-controller or other daemons, gets updated to match.

I don't think it makes sense to sign NDAs for this project.