[ovs-discuss] Problem of setting ECN bits to packets through floodlight controller

Manojkumar Sure manojkumar.sure at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 19:37:51 UTC 2015

Hi,
  I am running floodlight with OpenFlow V1.3. I am trying to set the ECN
bits of IPV4 packets. I am using mininet with the default topology(2 hosts,
1 switch) with OVS switch version 2.3 set to use OpenFlow V1.3.

The mininet command I am using is
sudo mn --controller remote,ip=127.0.0.1,port=6653
--switch=ovsk,protocols=OpenFlow13  --mac

I am running floodlight at the default port(which is set to 6653).

I was trying to set ECN bits using the following command

curl -d '{"switch": "00:00:00:00:00:00:00:01", "name":"rule-1",
"cookie":"0", "priority":"300",
"ingress-port":"1","eth_type":"0x0800","ip_proto":"0x06","active":"true",
"instruction_apply_actions":"output=2",
"instruction_write_actions":"set_field=ip_ecn->3"}'
http://127.0.0.1:8080/wm/staticflowpusher/json

I was able to see that this rule got added to the switch and the packets
are getting matched to this rule in the switch through the flood light web
interface.

But, the problem is, event though the packets are getting matched to the
rules, I was not able to see any difference in the ECN bits in the packets,
which I am tracing through wireshark.
I was using iperf server on h2 and iperf client on h1 and tracing the
packets on h2-eth0.

I was seeing all the packets that are sent from h1 to h2. But, all the
packets have ECN bits set to 0x00.

I tried with some other fields like setting ip address, setting ttl values
etc. But, none of them changed the packet fields.

It looks like the problem is with OVS not being able to execute those
actions(basically, changing any packet fields).

Am I doing something wrong?

--
Regards,
Manoj Kumar Sure,