[ovs-discuss] SFC using OVN

V_Dham at Dell.com V_Dham at Dell.com
Tue Oct 27 06:14:42 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I am currently exploring Service Function Chaining (SFC) implementation using OVN and would like to hear thoughts from the community.

Has anyone implemented Service Function Chaining using OVN project and would be willing to share his/her experiences? There are proposals for adding NSH header as well as leveraging MPLS headers (interim solution for lack of NSH support) for SFC but can someone more experienced in this topic share if those modifications are really necessary for real world SFC use cases?

With the native support for L2 overlays and ACLs inherently built into OVN, I am wondering if we are better off creating point to point overlay networks between the VNFs and using ACLs for traffic classification. Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks,

Vikram