[ovs-discuss] ovs dpdk low performance despite optimizations

Benedikt Rudolph benedikt.rudolph at ps.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Oct 27 12:13:49 UTC 2015

Hi list, hi Mr. Traynor,

On 22.10.15 11:48, Traynor, Kevin wrote:
> Did you catch the updates to that section on the mainline that were
> not in the OVS 2.4 package?
> https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/INSTALL.DPDK.md#performance-tuning

Yep, I looked at the most recent version on github and noticed the
cleanup in the Performance Tuning section.
> I see the same, so not causing your poor performance.
Do you have any numbers of which level of performance can be expected
for the described setup? Theoretical max. for 64 Byte packets is around
14 Mpps. Has anybody observed performance close to this in OpenvSwitch
using DPDK?
We were able to get around 14 Mpps using the l2fwd example app from dpdk.

We also re-tested our setup with OVS master (from github) and DPDK 2.1
and found no difference to the results described in my first posting.