[ovs-discuss] conntrack feature detection

Ben Warren ben at skyportsystems.com
Tue Sep 1 18:11:07 UTC 2015

> On Sep 1, 2015, at 11:02 AM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 10:55:51AM -0700, Justin Pettit wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 31, 2015, at 8:40 PM, Ben Warren <ben at skyportsystems.com> wrote:
>>> 1. Is there a way, apart from parsing the output of ‘ovs-ofctl
>>> —version’ to determine if the installed .ko supports conntrack?
>
> ovs-ofctl can't tell you anything about the kernel module--it's multiple
> layers removed from it, and might not even be on the same physical
> machine as the kernel module in question.

That makes sense.  I’ve seen other kernel drivers that have some kind of ‘feature bitmask’ that’s readable from userspace via procfs or sysfs, but that sort of thing is hard to maintain and doesn’t scale well.

>>> I looked through /proc and /sys and didn’t see anything, but am
>>> pretty good at missing things.
>>
>> I'm not aware of one.  In ofproto-dpif.c, there are run time checks
>> for a number of features, including conntrack support.  Currently, it
>> just logs a message, but it might make sense to store that information
>> in OVSDB.  Would that help?
>
> Personally I recommend that users probe for features by trying to use
> them.
This isn’t something I really need, it would just be handy in the short term when I have some systems with the new driver and some that don’t.  I’ll manage either through probing or manually.  Thanks for responding!