[ovs-discuss] Scaling up ovs-dpdk

Traynor, Kevin kevin.traynor at intel.com
Thu Sep 10 20:30:16 UTC 2015

Probably the best way to scale is to add more cores with pmd-cpu-mask.
You won't get much by adding multiple rxqs unless you do this, as the same
pmd (core) will be polling all the rxqs.

I submitted a patch with additional information about performance tuning,
hopefully that will help explain.
http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-September/059806.html

> On a related note, it seems with the default config of ovs-dpdk that it was
> capped at around 6 Gb/s (with 1500 byte packets).  It seemed to be an
> artificial limit as looking at the dpdk stats of where it was spending time,
> the majority of the time was in the idle/poll loop rather than the processing
> packets loop.  I thought perhaps that it was the VMs, so I had two instances
> splitting the traffic, and again the aggregate b/w seemed to be capped at 6
> Gb/s with each pair of VMs doing 3 Gb/s.  Is this an artificial limit?  Or is
> it related to performance tuning I might have to do?

No artificial limits in OVS with DPDK. It may just be that you need to do some
performance tuning to increase the throughput.