[ovs-discuss] ovs not triggering vxlan offload

Xu (Simon) Chen xchenum at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 02:36:44 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am testing OVS 2.4.0 on Linux 3.18 kernel.

Not sure when it got changed, but VXLAN offload is no longer on by
default in 3.18 - it used to be the case in 3.14. So, normally I have:
ethtool -k eth4 | grep tnl
tx-udp_tnl-segmentation: off [fixed]

Configuring a VXLAN interface manually would trigger that option to
turn on. Something like:
ip link add vxlan0 type vxlan id 11 group 239.1.1.1 dev eth4
ip addr add 1.2.4.5/24 dev vxlan0
ip link set up vxlan0

Then we have:
ethtool -k eth4 | grep tnl
tx-udp_tnl-segmentation: on [requested off]

I imagined that when OVS created the VXLAN tunneled ports, it should
turn on VXLAN offload as well, but it's not happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
-Simon