[ovs-discuss] way to speak with OpenFlow module

Xiao Liang (xiaolia) xiaolia at cisco.com
Tue Sep 15 09:43:03 UTC 2015

Hi Minh,

As far as I know, most controllers will include OpenFlow protocol implementation. They communicate with switches by OpenFlow message. In this way, ovs-ofctl makes no difference, it sends / receives messages via sockets (unix, tcp, etc.). Some controller might also have OVSDB southbound, which manipulates OVS bridges as ovs-vsctl.
Some applications (like Openstack, IIRC) might have an agent running on the host to call OVS utils.

Thanks,
Xiao