[ovs-discuss] The Compatibility between Openvswitch and Physical NIC

zhi changzhi1990 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 03:45:34 UTC 2015

Hi, everyone.
  Recently, we met a strange problem. We use Openstack by openvswitch. The
network node(physical server) crashes when vm send TCP packages. By my
analysis, the information of the physical nic (public network nic) is below:

     [root at server-65.0.aa.ustack.in ~ ]$ ethtool -i eth1
    driver: bnx2
    version: 2.2.4
    firmware-version: 6.2.12 bc 5.2.3 NCSI 2.0.11
    bus-info: 0000:01:00.1
    supports-statistics: yes
    supports-test: yes
    supports-eeprom-access: yes
    supports-register-dump: yes
    supports-priv-flags: no
    [root at server-65.0.aa.ustack.in ~ ]$ ethtool  eth1
    Settings for eth1:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: Unknown!
        Duplex: Unknown! (255)
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        MDI-X: Unknown
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: d
        Link detected: no

The physical NIC is :
Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit
Ethernet (rev 20)

 The version of OVS is 2.1.2, the version of kernel
is 3.12.21-1.el6.x86_64.

Did anyone met the compatibility between ovs and physical nic?

Thx
changzhi