[ovs-discuss] OVS does not start without openvswitch log directory

Balazs Nemeth balazs.nemeth at ericsson.com
Tue Sep 22 09:39:13 UTC 2015

Dear All,

I'm using OVS version 2.3.0. I wanted to delete ovs log files and accidentally I deleted the whole folder /var/log/openvswitch/. I noticed that openvswitch-switch service was unable to start because of this. The error message was (I did not delete /var/run/openvswitch/):
start: Job failed to start
2015-09-22T09:27:41Z|00001|daemon_unix|WARN|/var/run/openvswitch/ovs-vswitchd.pid: open: No such file or directory
ovs-appctl: cannot read pidfile "/var/run/openvswitch/ovs-vswitchd.pid" (No such file or directory)

If the log directory exists but empty, the openvswitch-switch service will start. The problem comes up when the directory doesn't exist. Please investigate this bug.

Best regards,
Balazs Nemeth