[ovs-discuss] [ovs-dev] Query with respect to DB commit even when vsctl failed

Andy Zhou azhou at nicira.com
Thu Sep 24 18:14:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 4:31 AM, RishiRaj Maulick
<rishi.raj2509 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>

> I have been using OVS recently and I noticed the following -
>

> 1)    1)   I did not insert the openvswitch kernel module
>
> 2)      2) Using “ovs-vsctl add-br br0” command , I tried to add a bridge –
> which failed for obvious reasons. There is an error log that is displayed
> on ovs-vsctl screen as well.

Technically, this is an error reported only by ovs-vsctl. It is not an
error from ovsdb
stand point.  If you insert kmod and restart ovs-vswitchd, the bridge
will be created.

> 3)      3) However there are entries that are left in the ovs database –
> “ovsdb-client dump”. I can see addition to the bridge , port , interface
> and openvswitch tables – all entries pertaining to the bridge “br0”.

That's expected.

> Ideally an application has to delete the bridge “br0” from the DB after
> hitting an error like this.

I am not sure ovs-vsctl should do this. You can certainly implement a
script on top
of ovs-vsctl, or an application that do this.

> I see that the ovs-vsctl can detect these errors through checks for the
> field in the interface table entry "ofport”.

Yes

> The question is how can a remote management interface for any proprietary
> schemas get to know about application processing failures .

Does your schema has 'ofport', if yes, then one option could be to
monitor 'ofport'.