[ovs-discuss] line rate traffic in dpdk & ovs rx errors and dead port.

David Evans davidjoshuaevans at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 02:58:26 UTC 2015

Hi Daniele!
Thank you for your reply.
I find that it reliably starts too if i have 6 or less NIC ports.

Any more than 6 ports (even if there is only one receiving traffic) and the
one receivng traffic will just keep upping the rx_errors.

Ovs is automatically adding 11pmd's because i have a FFF mask for core
usage and it is using 10G worth of 1G hugepages. I have about 524288 9k
packet buffers on one  numa node memory. and 262K on the other.

If i have my 12 ports included, and if i wait till it has completed
starting up before sending any traffic it easily copes with at least
80+Gbps throughput. But alas if traffic is running on startup i just get
rx_errors.

On my bridge i add a drop all flow at low priority on table 3 and have
various other rules in table 0, 1 and 2 and 3 for
detection/filtering/forwarding. The problem is exacerbated if i add more
bridges and connect the dpdk ports to other bridges in the same switch.

Could it have leaked out all it's packet buffers?
Or the threads be busy wait somewhere else because of a race condition with
all those PMD's?
Maybe a thread synchronize, or quiescing issue?

Can you think of a neat way i can track thread synchronization & packet
usage?

btw i am using  ovs 2.3.2+29bae5412ea3c6a1e20d79afd25c11b968dffa05-r0

Regards,

Dave.