[ovs-discuss] name server access

HEARNE, TIMOTHY S th1618 at att.com
Tue Sep 29 18:38:53 UTC 2015

I've got an issue which I can't seem to overcome.  Here is the situation.  We started with the mininet 2.2.1 image on Ubuntu 14.4 loaded into Oracle VirtualBox.  We have set up the image to use bridged networking.  We are attempting to get the two images to talk which we can do successfully.  Our issue is with name server access.

Our /etc/nework/interfaces file contains:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

We set up OVS on both VMs as follows:
sudo ovs-vsctl add-br br1
sudo ovs-vsctl add-port br1 eth0
sudo ifconfig br1 192.168.1.1/24 up  (on the second image, we use IP 192.168.2.1)
sudo route add -net 0.0.0.0/0 gw 192.168.1.1 (on the second image, we use IP 192.168.2.1)

When we add the eth0 port on br1, we lose access to the name-server.  I can successfully get the two images to communicate though.  I have unsuccessfully tried several methods to restore access to a name server.  Our goal is to not hard code the values in any files if possible but rather use OVS for the configuration.

Does anyone know what I need to do to restore name server access?

Thank you!
Tim Hearne