[ovs-discuss] how to get dpdk pmd's assigned per port.

Daniele Di Proietto diproiettod at vmware.com
Wed Sep 30 17:50:33 UTC 2015

On 30/09/2015 04:44, "David Evans" <davidjoshuaevans at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi OVS (Ben particularly :) )
>
>How do i get OVS to assign ports to the PMD's that I choose?
>
>If i have say 6 or 12 ports and i want them distributed evenly across a
>mask of 12 or more cores on a multi node numa system / or where i know
>the NICs are on separate pci buses even what code do i touch to have more
>deterministic control over this.

Currently each pmd thread loads the rx queues from the NICs on its NUMA
socket.
If you create more than one pmd thread per NUMA socket, the queues will be
assigned in a round robin fashion.

The function that does this is pmd_load_queues(). It is called in
pmd_thread_main().

We're discussing a way to provide more control for the user.