[ovs-discuss] Help with OpenFlow + OVS Tunnels

Koaps Freeman koapsfreeman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 06:55:06 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get OpenFlow working against a bunch of
servers. We have about 18 servers that use a Open vSwitch bridge with GRE
ports to mesh together to create a large /16 network that LXC uses.

I've read and tested most things I've found but a lot of examples are for
mininet or handful of servers, nothing larger than 3.

I'm trying to understand how to build OpenFlow rules so that all my linux
bridges can talk to each other and allow connections for services running
in LXC.

My bridge setup is similar to this:

https://wiredcraft.com/blog/multi-host-docker-network/

And I tried following:

http://networkstatic.net/setting-overlays-open-vswitch/

and

http://blog.devnu11.net/2015/09/openvswitch-and-openflow/

The best I've been able to figure out so far is having something like:

in_port=local,actions=output:1,output:2,
output:3,output:4,output:5,output:6,output:7,output:8
in_port=1,actions=output:local
in_port=2,actions=output:local
in_port=3,actions=output:local
in_port=4,actions=output:local
in_port=5,actions=output:local
in_port=6,actions=output:local
in_port=7,actions=output:local
in_port=8,actions=output:local

Which allows pings, but not services like ssh, seems like I'm getting
triple the GRE overhead (about 70 bytes)

Does anyone have any examples for large overlay network build using
OpenFlow and Open vSwitch?

Thanks