[ovs-discuss] OVS will not send ARP packets as packet-in to OpenFlow controller

Justin Pettit jpettit at ovn.org
Wed Apr 6 22:38:27 UTC 2016

> On Apr 6, 2016, at 3:28 PM, Ryan Izard <rizard at g.clemson.edu> wrote:
>
> Yep, we stumbled into that and it worked like a charm. We couldn't quite tell from the document if in-band is enabled or disabled by default when you install and bring up a bridge for the first time. Do you happen to know?

Yes, it is.  From the FAQ:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Q1: Some of the traffic that I'd expect my OpenFlow controller to see
    doesn't actually appear through the OpenFlow connection, even
    though I know that it's going through.
Q2: Some of the OpenFlow flows that my controller sets up don't seem
    to apply to certain traffic, especially traffic between OVS and
    the controller itself.

A: By default, Open vSwitch assumes that OpenFlow controllers are
   connected "in-band", that is, that the controllers are actually
   part of the network that is being controlled.  In in-band mode,
   Open vSwitch sets up special "hidden" flows to make sure that
   traffic can make it back and forth between OVS and the controllers.
   These hidden flows are higher priority than any flows that can be
   set up through OpenFlow, and they are not visible through normal
   OpenFlow flow table dumps.

   Usually, the hidden flows are desirable and helpful, but
   occasionally they can cause unexpected behavior.  You can view the
   full OpenFlow flow table, including hidden flows, on bridge br0
   with the command:

       ovs-appctl bridge/dump-flows br0

   to help you debug.  The hidden flows are those with priorities
   greater than 65535 (the maximum priority that can be set with
   OpenFlow).

   The DESIGN file at the top level of the Open vSwitch source
   distribution describes the in-band model in detail.

   If your controllers are not actually in-band (e.g. they are on
   localhost via 127.0.0.1, or on a separate network), then you should
   configure your controllers in "out-of-band" mode.  If you have one
   controller on bridge br0, then you can configure out-of-band mode
   on it with:

       ovs-vsctl set controller br0 connection-mode=out-of-band