[ovs-discuss] Connecting multiple bridges in full mesh

Eugene L. Vorokov vel at pidarasy.org
Thu Apr 7 16:29:43 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

I'm trying to setup L2 network using OpenVSwitch. There are 3 hosts
with openvswitch running on them, each host is connected to the
internet and has some local network behind it, the goal is to unite
all those local networks on L2 level.

I've set up vxlan tunnels between 3 openvswitch hosts, but it seems
like fully meshed topology (connecting 1-2, 2-3 and 1-3) leads to
network loop, and everything stops working. If I only connect say 1-2
and 2-3, so that topology is tree-like, everything works, but packets
from 1 to 3 travel long way through 2, which is not what I need - they
all are connected to the same Internet and such long path makes no
sense.

Is there a way to setup openvswitch to support fully meshed topology?
What I need is that each host in L2 network could reach any other host
in that network via the fastest possible path.

For example, it would be fine if openvswitch would deny packet
forwading between two vxlan ports, so that packets can only travel
between two directly connected openvswitch hosts. Can this be set up
somehow?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Eugene