[ovs-discuss] Link Degradation (Partial Failure)

Syed Mohammad Irteza smirteza at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 07:26:36 UTC 2016

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Open vSwitch. I would like to gain some insight into the way we
can capture (i.e., detect) a link degradation (i.e., partial failure). For
instance, if a link has capacity of 10 Gbps, but degrades to 1 Gbps, does
OVS capture this?

>From what I understand, if we have *bond-detect-mode* set to "*carrier*"
for all our links, a complete link failure will be sensed by the Open
vSwitch, and this information can then by propagated to a centralized
controller. But what happens if there is a degradation instead of a
complete failure?

Perhaps one way out is to use the LACP configuration and have multiple
links with different capacities between nodes, and have one of them turned
off. But I think that would not properly simulate the case of the real
world issue of partial failure.

Unfortunately I have not been able to install OVS correctly on my Ubuntu
machine, so I cannot test this stuff at the moment, but it would be nice to
gain an insight from senior OVS practitioners. Perhaps we may have to use a
combination of other statistics that are on offer to gauge such a partial
failure?

Thanks & Regards,

--
Syed Mohammad Irteza