[ovs-discuss] Questions on Group Bucket Selection

Ning Wu nw276 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 15 21:44:42 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I am working on splitting traffic by using multiple buckets in groups with
select type. Some previous discussions related in the mailing list helped
me understand it better, however, I would like to confirm a couple of facts.

1. Is the bucket selection only based on flows? If I am trying to split the
udp traffic for a same source-destination pair in a forwarding switch to
multiple output ports, does that mean the only way to enable buckets
selection is to divide the udp traffic into multiple flows from the source
host (e.g. use different udp source ports)?

2. I am using ovs 2.3.1. It does not support unequal weights for buckets,
doesn't it? I found a project described on the wiki below, which
implemented feature of unequal weights in group table. I followed the setup
but only one bucket got selected. The author also posted in ovs mailing
list with the similar question. I am wondering if the reason is because
there is only one flow in the test.

https://github.com/saeenali/openvswitch/wiki/Stochastic-Switching-using-Open-vSwitch-in-Mininet
http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2014-February/036800.html

3. Suppose the bucket is selected based on flows and buckets have equal
weight with actions of different output ports. In order to make sure load
balancing is achieved, my understanding is we have to assume those flows
have equal flow rate, because the selection method only hashes flows
evenly. Is that correct?

(I posted a question in dev mailing list, but later realized probably I had
better ask here, sorry for that!)

Thanks,
Ning