[ovs-discuss] Disable MAC learning on certain ports

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Tue Apr 19 16:57:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 04:27:19PM +0000, Farhad Sunavala wrote:
> >>  Proposal:
> >> We introduce the interface keyword "learn= no".
> >> E.g. ovs-vsctl set interface foo learn=no
> >>
> >> This will instruct br-int NOT to do MAC learning on packets received on
> >> interface foo.
>
> >This seems less flexible than adding some kind of option to "normal", or
> >breaking "normal" into sub-actions.  Why do it this way?
>
> Can you elaborate more on your thoughts about breaking "normal" into
> sub-actions ?

"normal" consists of a number of more or less independent steps:

        * Drop certain malformed or invalid frames.
        * Check VLAN.
        * Check for other inadmissible frames.
        * Learn source MAC.
        * Decide on output interface(s).
        * Output to each output interface.

These, or some of these, could be made into separate actions that could
be applied independently.

> >> This cannot be applied to a bonded port with 2 or more interfaces.
> >Why?
>
> Just to make it simple for now.  These are virtual appliances and
> unlikely tosupport bonding anyway.  Issues such as what happens if the
> bonded port has 3 interfaces and only oneof the interfaces has
> learning disabled.  Do we disable learning for the entire port?

Can you explain why you'd want this to be apply per interface instead of
to an entire bond?