[ovs-discuss] OVN Questions

Maurice Qureshi Maurice.Qureshi at calix.com
Wed Apr 27 01:16:36 UTC 2016

Have following questions on OVN

1.      Tried to use the ovs sandbox as described in http://benpfaff.org/~blp/ovn-lbnl.pdf. Got following message, but the commands like ovn-nbctl are failing. Both OVN daemons (ovn-northd and ovn-controller) are running in addition to ovn-controller-vtep. I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

You are running in a dummy Open vSwitch environment.  You can use
ovs-vsctl, ovs-ofctl, ovs-appctl, and other tools to work with the
dummy switch.

This environment also has the OVN daemons and databases enabled.
You can use ovn-nbctl and ovn-sbctl to interact with the OVN databases.

Log files, pidfiles, and the configuration database are in the
"sandbox" subdirectory.

Exit the shell to kill the running daemons.

2.      Since OVN provides L2/L3 networking, I should be able to do L2 forwarding between two virtual hosts (say linux containers) connected to OVS. No other controller should be needed. Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

3.      If there are any pointers on OVN use cases, please share or unicast them to me.

Thanks
Maurice