[ovs-discuss] Support of openvswitch on linux 4.4.0 kernel version

Joe Stringer joe at ovn.org
Thu Apr 28 20:28:12 UTC 2016

On 28 April 2016 at 09:55, Elluru, Krishna Mohan
<elluru.kri.mohan at hpe.com> wrote:
> HI All,
>         I tried compiling openvswitch 2.5.0 in linux 4.4.0 kernel version. I am getting error message saying kernel version is unsupported. I tried removing the compilation check, still it is failing(actually looping). Upcoming release is expected to be supported in new kernel version? Any known workarounds?

The kernel module distributed with OVS-2.5 cannot build against
Linux-4.4. You can use the upstream openvswitch module from Linux-4.4
paired with OVS-2.5 userspace.

The FAQ describes this in more detail:
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/FAQ.md#q-what-linux-kernel-versions-does-each-open-vswitch-release-work-with