[ovs-discuss] Supporting QinQ in OVS

Tony van der Peet tony.vanderpeet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 04:25:01 UTC 2016

Hi all

"OVS does not support QinQ, because no one has implemented it." (Ben
Pfaff, Jun/2016).

I have the first hints of a requirement to support QinQ, so I would
like to implement it. But I have a bunch of questions first:

- What has happened to previous attempts to implement QinQ? I have
seen various patches in the mailing lists. Are these still active? Do
they have some merit?

- Is the issue quite complicated? I see references to ovsdb
configuration items and the need to support a stack of VLAN tags - all
sounds fairly complicated, but what would be the simplest
implementation we could deliver?

- Where do the standards sit wrt this feature? Would it be possible in
v1.3 or would we be looking at adding support to a later version? (I
know, I should be reading the standards myself, and I'll get onto that
soon).

- Are there any like-minded souls out there who would like to pick up
this work and collaborate on it? More to the point, are there people
out there actively developing this feature already? Can I help?

- What would my next steps be? My inclination would be to read the
standards, think about a few use cases, then draft requirements and
test cases, then start thinking about how to implement. Would this
work? Should I publish a discussion document to this forum? Are there
such documents already in existence?

- Having developed this feature, is it going to be able to be
delivered into the main project?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Tony