[ovs-discuss] vSwitch simple config - no ping between same br ports

José Tomás ( for openvswitch) openvswitch at chico.mine.nu
Mon Aug 22 20:58:42 UTC 2016

Remark: It is not a bug!

It's just regular not run desktop virtualizers under root, so became
able do rw nic devices, or eventuality is expressly needed to tick an
allowance for promiscuous mode for nics provided to VMs, and if you are
using a VM where you need a bridge do physical... probably most features
it will not work until you make virtualizer allow VM go promisc...

So, is not a bug, is just a security feature for virtual... ;)

On 20-08-2016 20:05, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:28:22AM +0100, "José Tomás"@Home wrote:
>> For the record, bridge and physical interface requires promisc on...
>> Dam it!
>>
>> I did found since same issue occurred with single bridge config (without
>> openvswitch), and tcpdumping interfaces shown a sympthom of some one unable
>> to see what was happening on the bus... promisc...
> OVS should be turning on promiscuous mode automatically.  If it's not
> doing that, then there's a bug somewhere.

Tomás
My best regards!