[ovs-discuss] Why testpmd fails to start in VM while l2fwd works in the same VM?

Mauricio Vasquez mauricio.vasquez at polito.it
Fri Aug 26 13:12:10 UTC 2016

Hello Charlie,

On 08/25/2016 02:30 PM, Charlie Li wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My host and VM both are running Fedora 23.
>
> In the host, DPDK (testpmd, l2fwd and l3fwd) works fine.
>
> Then I set up OVS with DPDK and pass two (dpdkvhostuser) ports to the VM.
>
> In the VM, l2fwd works fine, but testpmd fails to start. Pleas see the
> attached screenshot of the VM with error messages.
>
> Has anybody seen similar issue in the VM?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie

My first thought is that it is a DPDK issue, but more information is needed.
Could you please provide some more details?
- OvS, DPDK and QEMU versions you are using.
- The exact steps you perform in the guest before starting the testpmd
application, specifically how do you bind the virtio interfaces to DPDK.

Thanks,

Mauricio V.