[ovs-discuss] Why testpmd fails to start in VM while l2fwd works in the same VM?

Charlie Li charlie.li at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 14:38:57 UTC 2016

Thanks Mauricio,

OVS - 2.5.0
DPDK - 2.2.0
QEMU - 2.4.1

I used the ${DPDK_PATH}/tools/setup.sh to set up the environment including
binding interfaces.

after starting the setup.sh script,

1) select option 14                          // build DPDK
2) select option 17                          // start ign_uio
3) select option 20  then 512           // allocate hugepages
4) option 23 then 0000:00:03.0        // bind the first interface to DPDK
5) option 23 then 0000:00:04.0        // bind the second interface to DPDK
6) option 34                                   // exit setup.sh script

cd ${DPDK_PATH}/app/test-pmd
make
sudo -E ./testpmd -c 0x3 -n 2 -- -i --portmask=0x3 --nb-cores=1

This is where I got the errors.

But I can use l2fwd without any problem

cd ${RTE_SDK}/examples/l2fwd
make
sudo -E ./build/l2fwd -c 0x3 -n 2 -- -p 0x3

Regards,
Charlie