[ovs-discuss] Hash quality in select group with weighted buckets‏

ibrahim menem ibrahimmun at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 10:05:20 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm testing "weighted select groups" behaviour on ovs2.5 stable, I'm using this command:

ovs-ofctl -O OpenFlow15 add-group ovs0 "group_id=1,type=select,
selection_method=hash,fields(nw_src,nw_dst,tcp_src,tcp_dst),
bucket=bucket_id=1,actions=output:11,weight=$1,
bucket=bucket_id=2,actions=output:12,weight=$2"

$1 and $2 correspond to the weights column below:

Weights   Measured  Deviation

50/50      50/50         0
40/60      34/66         6
30/70      22/78         8
20/80      13/87         7
10/90      5.6/94.4      4.4
50/950     97/3          2

Traffic pattern (using pktgen_dpdk and only tcp packets):

dst.ip      2.0.0.1  ->  2.255.255.255
src.ip      1.0.0.1  ->  1.255.255.255
dst.port    1        ->  65000
src.port    1        ->  65000
pkt.size    1500

 believed that given enough traffic diversity, weights would be closer
to the configured ones! I tested against narrower and more realistic
traffic patterns but still having similar results, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ibrahim