[ovs-discuss] some questions about ovs datapath performace

Benq Wu 59466980 at qq.com
Fri Dec 9 06:00:00 UTC 2016

hello~

  openvswitch.org/support/ovscon2014/18/1600-ovs_perf.pptx
  <OpenVswitch Performance measurements & analysis> written by Madhu Challa, shows some tests that datapath forwarding performance is lower than ovs+dpdk.
			STANDARD-OVS	DPDK-OVS	LINUX-BRIDGE
Gbits / sec		1.159			9.9			1.04
Mpps			1.72			        14.85		1.55

1) What is the main reason for the lower performance of datapath compared with ovs+dpdk?
2) If we create some kthreads for datapath to poll the NIC,and running datapath in the kthreads, how about the performance compared with ovs+dpdk? That should not be lower than ovs+dpdk in theory, I guess.