[ovs-discuss] OVN vs Distributed vSwitches

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Tue Dec 13 16:27:27 UTC 2016

Please see my responses inline, prefixed by [SL].

> On Dec 13, 2016, at 9:22 AM, Shravan S K <sra9449 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The example that you mentioned, isn't it the same as what VXLAN can do ?
>
> And can you please compare the OVN Controller to an SDN controller(say Floodlight) ?

[SL] VXLAN is simply an encapsulation protocol, and is leveraged by network virtualization solutions such as OVN (among others). VXLAN by itself, however, does not provide any control plane functionality to enable network virtualization (it is strictly a data plane protocol).

As for the comparison between OVN's components and an SDN controller, I'll leave that to others who are far more qualified than I am.

--
Scott