[ovs-discuss] VXLAN support in OVS 2.5.0

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Wed Dec 28 15:59:27 UTC 2016

Please see my responses inline, prefixed by [SL].

On Dec 28, 2016, at 4:15 AM, Shravan S K <sra9449 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying this - http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/howto/userspace-tunneling/
>
> 1) Which step connects vxlan interface,vxlan0, to the bridge,br-phy, as shown in the diagram ?

[SL] I haven't worked with userspace tunneling yet, but I believe the principles here are much the same as with a "traditional" kernel-mode implementation. Traffic from the vxlan0 port on br-int is directed out the physical interfaces attached to br-phy via the kernel's routing table (which is why step #5 is necessary).

This article may help you understand the various traffic patterns you may encounter with OVS:

<http://blog.scottlowe.org/2013/05/15/examining-open-vswitch-traffic-patterns/>

> 2) What should I do if also want to access(from the VM) the network that my host is in ?

[SL] You would need to either a) add an additional interface to the VM, or b) create a VXLAN-to-VLAN gateway. In the case of a), this additional interface would need to be connected to br-phy (or its equivalent). In the case of b), this would be another system (guest or VM) that receives VXLAN traffic and handles decapsulation of the traffic and placement onto a VLAN outside the overlay.

I hope this helps.

--
Scott