[ovs-discuss] [OVN][OpenStack] - scaling broadcast/multicast on tunnels without multicast support?

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 19:06:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

I looked through the list and see that someone already asked about
multicast addresses as a target for VXLAN tunnels[1]. Since it's not
supported, what is the suggestion to prevent broadcast/multicast traffic in
a tenant's network from wiping out the network due to the duplication cost?

This is something the current OVS plugin for Neutron in OpenStack suffers
from and it seems OVN will have the same issue as far as I can tell.

For example, without severely rate-limiting or completely blocking
broadcast/multicast, a tenant network with 100 VMs on it can max out a 10
Gbps interface adapter with a 100 mbps broadcast/multicast stream.

1. http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-December/019632.html

Cheers
--
Kevin Benton