[ovs-discuss] IPSec and Open vSwitch

Ansis Atteka aatteka at nicira.com
Mon Jan 18 21:42:49 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:16 AM, mostafa uddin <muddin at cs.odu.edu> wrote:
> I have a clarification question,
>
> Does the IPSec packet processing is done before the OVS datapath, in the
> network stack?

For incoming packets IPsec is done before reaching OVS datapath.

For egressing packets IPsec is done after the packet has already left
OVS datapath.

See http://inai.de/images/nf-packet-flow.png for more details where of
"local process" you could think as if it was OVS datapath that owns
tunneling socket. And IPsec is done in"XFRM" boxes.

> Is it possible to bring the IPSec packet processing inside the OVS Datapath?
> That means all the packet header formation, and encryption algorithm will be
> called when the packet is in the process path of OVS datapath module.

I haven't thought too much about this, but I am afraid that this might
get a little bit intrusive for Linux IP stack, because you would have
to get ESP packets somehow to OVS kernel module which means that OVS
would need to intercept *all* the ESP traffic that would otherwise
have went to XFRM boxes in that diagram.

If you have an idea how to do this in elegant way please propose.

Regards,
Ansis