[ovs-discuss] Quagga and OpenvSwitch

Stefano Salsano stefano.salsano at uniroma2.it
Tue Jan 26 06:16:57 UTC 2016

Il 2016-01-26 01:13, Shivram Krishnan ha scritto:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Hope you all are doing well.
>
> I have a simple three switches set up. Lets call them A,B and C . A is
> connected to B and C , B is connected to A and C and C is connected to A
> and B.
>
> A,B,C are running quagga as a routing daemon and are able to exchange
> the routing information.
>
> Now I install OVS on A,B,C and connect them to the external controller.
>
> But after connecting this, A,B,C seem to not to be exchanging routing
> information . This is expected because now the switch needs rules which
> are to be added by the controller so that it could forward the BGP
> packets generated by Quagga.
>
> Now how do I make quagga work with A,B,C when it is connected to an
> external controller?

Dear Shivram,

you are right, openvswitch in itself cannot behave like a router and
routing packets have to be forwarded to quagga

in this paper we propose a solution for "Hybrid IP/SDN networking" that
combines openvswitch and quagga:

“Hybrid IP/SDN networking: open implementation and experiment management
tools”, IEEE Trans. on Network and Service Management, accepted for
publication, published on line Dec 2015
http://arxiv.org/abs/1505.03579 (doi:10.1109/TNSM.2015.2507622)

the implementation of the solution is open source, you can find
additional information on http://netgroup.uniroma2.it/OSHI/

ciao
Stefano

--
Stefano Salsano
Professore Associato

http-.//netgroup.uniroma2.it/Stefano_Salsano/

E-mail  : stefano.salsano at uniroma2.it
Cell.   : +39 320 4307310
Office  : (Tel.) +39 06 72597770 (Fax.) +39 06 72597435