[ovs-discuss] ovsdb behavior under ovn management plane scaling

Ryan Moats rmoats at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 29 17:18:22 UTC 2016

"discuss" <discuss-bounces at openvswitch.org> wrote on 01/28/2016 08:53:23
PM:

> From: Numan Siddique <nusiddiq at redhat.com>
> To: Russell Bryant <russell at ovn.org>, Han Zhou <zhouhan at gmail.com>,
> Andy Zhou <azhou at ovn.org>
> Cc: Liran Schour <LIRANS at il.ibm.com>, "discuss at openvswitch.org"
> <discuss at openvswitch.org>
> Date: 01/28/2016 08:53 PM
> Subject: Re: [ovs-discuss] ovsdb behavior under ovn management plane
scaling
> Sent by: "discuss" <discuss-bounces at openvswitch.org>
>
> On 01/29/2016 07:48 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > On 01/28/2016 06:23 PM, Han Zhou wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Andy Zhou <azhou at ovn.org
> >> <mailto:azhou at ovn.org>> wrote:
> >>     Yes for C IDL. "monitor" is still supported.  Just want to
confirm.

> >> I don't think monitor2 is being used now by networking-ovn plugin,
> >> otherwise we would not hit the ovsdb problem earlier caused by mixed
> >> monitor & mintor2 caches.
> > Yes, that's right.  The Python IDL doesn't have monitor2 support yet.
> > It's a part of the monitor_cond patch series, I think.
> >
> > We could consider trying to get just monitor2 support in quicker if
that
> > makes sense.  Numan Siddique was working on monitor2 support for Python
> > separately from the monitor_cond patch series at one point.  Would it
be
> > worth looking into that?
> >

> I had almost worked on it [1] with test cases pending. If its worth
looking,
> I can submit the patches after fixing the test case failures.
>

> [1] - https://github.com/numansiddique/ovs/commit/
> 1e6298b17580b29295386e1d94efafb550c3e179
>       https://review.openstack.org/#/c/263233/

Catching up with the thread, looking at the ovsdb-server log:

1. I don't see the use of any "monitor" methods on transactions received -
everything I see is using monitor2.
2. I don't see the use of any "update" methods on transactions received -
everything I see is using update2.
3. I do see the use of "update" methods on notifications sent by
ovsdb-server

Ryan