[ovs-discuss] etcd for OVN status update (was: Re: more about etcd (can it support big transactions and many monitors?))

Russell Bryant russell at ovn.org
Fri Jul 1 18:07:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Andy Zhou <azhou at ovn.org> wrote:

>> A single, dedicated etcd client handling every other transaction sounds
>> like it could be a scale bottleneck.   What do you think?
>>

> Yeah, this is not ideal. Suggestions are welcome.

I don't have any suggestions right now...

> In OVN-SB use case, transactions are usually only issued by northd, write
> update should not, at least in theory, be
> the performance bottleneck.

At least for OpenStack, the most frequent operation will be creating or
deleting logical ports.  Each results in a transaction from both ovn-northd
and ovn-controller right now.  ovn-northd updates logical flows and creates
a Port_Binding row (at least).  ovn-controller updates the Port_Binding row
to bind the port to a chassis.

--
Russell Bryant