[ovs-discuss] how to set the default idle_timeout?

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Sun Jul 3 14:35:52 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jul 03, 2016 at 10:28:41PM +0800, Big Strong wrote:
> I'm using OVS2.5 and I find there is a cmd "ovs-vsctl set Open_Vswitch
> .other_config:max-idle" to set up the max idle timeout of flows.

This controls an implementation detail, that is not related to the
OpenFlow timeout.

> However, how can I change the default idle_timeout value of a the
> wildcard flows?  The "idle_timeout_s" filed is still 5s after I run
> the max-idle setting command.

There is no default.  Each flow has an individual setting.

> BTW, what is the condition of a flow being automatically deleted? When it
> is idle more than the idle_timeout? Or when the number of flows hit the
> flow-limit?

A flow expires (is deleted) when it is idle longer than the idle
timeout.  By default, there is no flow limit, but if you set one then
you also must specify the behavior when the limit is exceeded.