[ovs-discuss] OVS - IGMP Support?

Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo cascardo at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 12:53:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 05:53:27PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 09:56:29AM -0600, Ken Evensen wrote:
> > I feel like this an amateur question, but I'll ask anyway.  To what extent,
> > if any is IGMP implemented in OVS?  If it is implemented, does it support a
> > true rendezvous point?
>
> OVS has limited support for IGMP in its "normal switching" mode, that
> is, when it acts as a standalone switch.  Beyond that, it doesn't have
> any support for IGMP via OpenFlow, although it wouldn't be hard to add
> the ability to match and modify some IGMP fields.

I have some pending work on that, maybe I should send an RFC to get some review.

> I don't know much about IGMP, so when you start talking about rendezvous
> points I'm lost.  I'm CCing Flavio, who implemented the IGMP support,
> and Thadeu, who has more recently extended it.  Maybe they know more.

OVS only does IGMP snooping. It doesn't even work as a querier. There is no
support for PIM-SM or RP, which as I understand, would require OVS to act as a
router as well. Not sure how feasible it would be to implement that in a
controller.

Cascardo.