[ovs-discuss] OVN scalability and HA

Alexey I. Froloff raorn at raorn.name
Thu Jul 14 16:34:17 UTC 2016

Greetings,

We're about to use OVN in a large production environment :-)

Well, not really "production" production, but having fun testing
it, looking if we can use it in such way.  While functionality is
good for us, two question appear - scalability and availability.

What are current OVN (as of master branch) limitations in
hypervisors in one segment (one SBDB), lswitches in one segment,
lports in one lswitch, etc?

About clustering.  Since ovn-northd does not support clustering
by itself, it is possible to create active-passive HA cluster
ising third-party clustering software.  NBDB and SBDB are
replicated using ovsdb mechanisms and clustering software ensures
that there are one copy of ovn-northd daemon is running.  Is this
correct?  Can ovn-controller's automatically switch to different
database server?

What clustering/HA/scalability features are planned for 2.6.0
release?

Thank you in advance.

--
Regards,    --