[ovs-discuss] OVN scalability and HA

Alexey I. Froloff raorn at raorn.name
Fri Jul 15 09:39:08 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 02:28:39PM -0700, Andy Zhou wrote:
> This is what I think may work at a high level,  ovn-northd and
> ovn-controller should be told about both active and backup
> servers and only connect to the active server initially.  When
> the connections to the active ovsdb server are lost, they will
> try to establish connections to the back up server, and confirm
> that the back up server is now an active server, then continue
> to issue transactions from that point on.
So, in other words clustering will be done on database level,
database cluster chooses master and clients do stuff with this
master?  What are you going to do with ovn-northd?  Will it be
possible to have several daemons running on different nodes (in
parallel or in some active-passive state)?

> The above functions have not been flushed out nor implemented.
> Feedbacks are welcome.
When I hear "we are planning to make XXX" from Open vSwitch team
this usually means "we will make XXX and it will be GREAT" ;-)

> > What clustering/HA/scalability features are planned for 2.6.0
> > release?
> Would above plan, or something similar be sufficient?
Yes, thank you very much.

--
Regards,    --
Sir Raorn.   --- https://plus.google.com/+AlexeyFroloff