[ovs-discuss] OVS DPDK|DPDK|ERR|interface dpdk0 start error:operation not permitted.

sothy shan sothy.e98 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:48:36 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I followed the installion guide provided in the web site
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/INSTALL.DPDK.md#ovstc
to install dpdk OVS.

I am rurnning Ubuntu 14.04 (kernel 3.13). It is a VM running VMware.
One intereface is enabled by VMXNET3.

I used dpdk 16.04
Today I made clone of OVS (committ :bf32e3e2c029da18b5d6fd9210cb0ea12a1d0383).

The following are different configuration compared to above link.

sysctl -w vm.nr_hugepages=2048
Binded interface via igb_uio.

Then followed same configuration to start ovs-vsswitch with dpdk.

I am able to creatre bridge. When I create a port. It gives error message.

When I check ovs-vswitchd.log file,

There is warning that dpif_netlink|WARN|genric netlink family,
ovs_datapath does not exist. The openvswitch kernel module may be not
loaded.

Then ERR: ERR|interface dpdk0 start error:operation not permitted.

The corresponding port is loaded by dpdk driver as shown in
dpdk_nic_bind --status.

After that I did sudo ovs-vsctl show. it show br and port details as well.
I am able to add one flow rule as well. But ovs bridge didnt get
packets from the interface.

Do you know why this error is popup? anyway to solve the problem?

Thank you very much

Best regars
Sothy