[ovs-discuss] IGMP snooping behavior with regards to Querier

Ajit Warrier ajit.warrier at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 16:23:59 UTC 2016

I am testing the IGMP snooping behavior in OVS 2.4 with the following setup:

OVS1-------------eth0--------------------OVS2
eth1                                    eth1 ------- IGMP Querier
Laptop1                                Laptop2

OVS1 and OVS2 are embedded devices running OVS-2.4 with snooping enabled.
Laptop1 and Laptop2 have multicast listeners.

Without the IGMP Querier, the IGMP join messages sent by Laptop1 stop at
OVS1 and do not continue on to OVS1. This is what I expected.

Now I turn on an IGMP querier which sends general IGMP queries on
224.0.0.1. I can see these queries going through OVS2 and arriving at OVS1.
Now further IGMP joins from Laptop1 should no longer be blocked by OVS1,
but should be forwarded on the port (eth0) that received an IGMP query. I
do not observe this behavior.

Is this behavior not yet implemented in the current snooping implementation
? Is there any configuration option to enable it ?

Regards,
Ajit.