[ovs-discuss] IGMP snooping behavior with regards to Querier

Ajit Warrier ajit.warrier at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:57:56 UTC 2016

Thanks Cascardo,

I am on 2.4.0.

I delved into the source code, and it seems that it is because the querier
sets its IPv4 source address to 0.0.0.0. I understand that this is in
accordance with the RFC 4541 (Section 2.1.1.1 - 1(b)), so I guess this is
indeed the correct behavior.

Would you know why the RFC setup this rule ? I would assume this would
create issues in setups like ours, where:

- there is no Multicast router in the network (all traffic originates and
terminates within the LAN).
- there are multiple OVS software switches hooked up with each other.
- an IGMP querier is setup to allow IGMP snooping switches to populate
their tables correctly.

Thanks,
Ajit.