[ovs-discuss] Performance evaluation of MPLS in OVS

O'Reilly, Darragh darragh.oreilly at hpe.com
Wed Jun 1 12:43:38 UTC 2016

> I am running OVS 2.5v built on linux Kernel 4.3, my scenario is a 3 hops
> architecture(PUSH-SWAP-POP), but with MPLS flows I am getting an end-to -end
> throughput of 845Kb/s over a 1Gb/s NIC, while with normal IP flows I get
> 860Mb/s. I would appreciate if any one can share with me his or her experience
> with MPLS implementation in OVS as well. Looking forward to read from you guys.

Yes, I noticed this too. I was only getting about 1Mbps on a 10Gbps link when
doing something like this:
http://sureshmishra1174.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/running-mpls-with-open-vswitch-on.html
I think it's a Linux problem. I did some tests with two bridges on the same
host - Ubuntu 16.04 and OVS 250. With a OVS patch and MPLS encap/decap I see
about the same as the NORMAL flow ~21Gbps. But replace the patch with a VETH
pair and the speed drops to 1.8Mpbs. The VETH and the NORMAL flows gives
~20Gbps. See attached.