[ovs-discuss] compose_output_action__ doesn't use err return value from build_tunnel_send

Jesse Gross jesse at kernel.org
Thu Jun 2 20:27:02 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 11:59 AM, David Evans <davidjoshuaevans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi OVSers..
>
> ofproto/ofproto-dpif-xlate.c fn compose_output_action__ doesn't deal with
> errors reported by build_tunnel_send. eg (invalid arp cache value)
>
> It shoots out invalid packet while waiting for an arp reply to fix the
> cache.
> Wouldn't it be better if somehow it dropped the packets until we got a good
> arp?

Did you verify that this is actually happening? Looking at the code,
it seems to me that the output is generated by build_tunnel_send
itself and it will stop if it encounters an error. As a result,
there's nothing that the calling function needs to do further since
lack of an action will effectively drop the packet.