[ovs-discuss] How to bond two existing ovs interfaces within a bridge

Vasileios Kotronis wan-team at open.ch
Mon Jun 6 08:33:54 UTC 2016

Hello,

I would like to ask how one can bond two or more interfaces that already exist within an ovs bridge.
The following command, that tries to bond together two physical system interfaces that belong to
bridge switch_c fails:

# ovs-vsctl add-bond switch_c bond0 peth6 peth7
ovs-vsctl: cannot create an interface named peth6 because a port named peth6 already exists on bridge switch_c

Could you please let me know how I can achieve this? Should I remove peth6 and peth7 from the bridge and
then do the bonding and use the bond0 as an LACP aggregate (and yet another ovs port), or is there a way
to maintain the interfaces as they are and have an extra bond?

Kind regards,
Vasileios Kotronis