[ovs-discuss] more about etcd (can it support big transactions and many monitors?)

Russell Bryant russell at ovn.org
Fri Jun 10 21:31:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

> I've obtained a little more information from a conversation on Twitter
> with Xiang Li, a CoreOS developer, see below.
>
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 01:14:29PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > This leaves me with the following discussion questions:
> >
> >     - Is lack of non-amd64 support a blocker?  It's going to suck for
> >       me, because I do my development on i386 specifically to introduce
> >       diversity (I find bugs that others don't because they're all on
> >       amd64).  Also, we've lately had people actually making sure that
> >       the testsuite passes on non-x86-64, so there seems to be real
> >       interest there.
>
> Xiang says that to support non-x86-64 architectures, they would need
> someone to take responsibility for maintaining them.
>
> I still don't know whether this is a blocker.

Another way to look at this is that etcd has gained a huge amount of
traction, at least in the modern app infrastructure / container space.
This wouldn't be a limitation we would be accepting alone.  If the demand
is really there, we wouldn't be alone in needing to solve it.  I wouldn't
consider it a blocker.

> >     - Can etcd handle big transactions?
>
> Xiang says that there's a 1 MB limit on transactions by default, which
> can be increased.  This is probably not a blocker.
>
> >     - Can etcd handle a sufficient number of notify registrations?
>
> Xiang says that etcd can handle at least a million notify registrations.
> This is probably not a blocker.

This all sounds very promising!  Do you have any thoughts on next steps?  a
detailed look at how our existing schemas and some example transactions
would be mapped to etcd?  My gut reaction is that this is probably the
right direction unless we can identify blockers.

If we get to the point of a migration, I'd be willing to join an effort of
locking a small group in a room to do the migration as quick as possible to
help keep OVN on track.

--
Russell Bryant