[ovs-discuss] With network service restart, patch interfaces disappear

Sterdnot Shaken sterdnotshaken at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 22:05:44 UTC 2016

Thanks for the response Ben!

Here's the test process:

Clean boot:

[root at prv-10-11-ksupp user]# ovs-vsctl show
cf2a15bb-ca36-481a-aa3c-80df59814c76
    Bridge "br0"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal
        Port "eth3"
            Interface "eth3"
        Port "vnet0"
            Interface "vnet0"
        Port "vnet1"
            Interface "vnet1"
        Port "patch_0-1"
            Interface "patch_0-1"
                type: patch
    Bridge "br1"
        Port "br1"
            Interface "br1"
                type: internal
        Port "patch_1-0"
            Interface "patch_1-0"
                type: patch
    ovs_version: "2.5.0"

&&

[root at prv-10-11-ksupp user]# virsh list
 Id    Name                           State
 1     vm1                            running
 2     vm2                            running

-----

Service openvswitch restart:

[...]

service network restart:

[root at prv-10-11-ksupp user]# ovs-vsctl show
cf2a15bb-ca36-481a-aa3c-80df59814c76
    Bridge "br1"
        Port "br1"
            Interface "br1"
                type: internal
    Bridge "br0"
        Port "eth3"
            Interface "eth3"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal
    ovs_version: "2.5.0"

&&

[root at prv-10-11-ksupp user]# virsh list
 Id    Name                           State
 1     vm1                            running
 2     vm2                            running

I was chatting with a kind fellow on the IRC channel that pointed me to
this link:

https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/rhel/README.RHEL#L204

I hadn't considered the need to create startup scripts for the patch
interfaces. Once I did that, they would come back up consistently! As far
as the libvirt vnet interfaces auto-rejoining a bridge upon it being downed
and brought back up, he gave me some ideas to work with on that as well. If
anyone has any ideas that have worked for them on this, I'm all ears!

Thanks!