[ovs-discuss] Enabling IPFIX in OpenVSwitch breaks VXLAN tunneling

Lluís Gifre lgifre at ac.upc.edu
Tue Jun 28 15:03:20 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I'm experiencing a problem when enabling IPFIX on an OpenVSwitch where
VXLAN tunnels are configured to interconnect 2 VMs (Virtual Box).

I'm running the setup on Ubuntu v16.04 using the repo OpenVSwitch v2.5.0
and VirtualBox v5.0.22.

My setup is as follows:
2 bridges, each with a TAP interface connected to a VBox VM

The commands I used for setting up this environment are:

# Create bridges
sudo ovs-vsctl add-br br1
sudo ovs-vsctl add-br br2

# Create tap interfaces
sudo ip tuntap add mode tap tap1
sudo ip tuntap add mode tap tap2

# Bring up tap interfaces
sudo ip link set tap1 up
sudo ip link set tap2 up

# Add interfaces to bridge br0
sudo ovs-vsctl add-port br1 tap1
sudo ovs-vsctl add-port br2 tap2

# Bring up bridges
sudo ifconfig br1 up
sudo ifconfig br2 up

# Set IP address on bridges
sudo ifconfig br1 10.254.254.1/24
sudo ifconfig br2 10.254.254.2/24

# Configure VXLAN tunnels
sudo ovs-vsctl add-port br1 vxlan12 -- set interface vxlan12 type=vxlan
sudo ovs-vsctl add-port br2 vxlan21 -- set interface vxlan21 type=vxlan

Until that point, VMs can ping one to the other.

Then, without disabling the "pings" I enabled IPFIX in both bridges:

# Enable IPFIX on bridges
#   Data Collector IP = 172.26.37.124
#   Data Collector Port = 4739 (UDP)
#   Packets per sample = 1

sudo ovs-vsctl -- set bridge br1 ipfix=@ipfix -- --id=@ipfix create IPFIX \
     targets=\"172.26.37.124:4739\" \
     obs_domain_id=1 obs_point_id=1 \
     sampling=1 cache_active_timeout=60\
     other_config:enable-tunnel-sampling=true

sudo ovs-vsctl -- set bridge br2 ipfix=@ipfix -- --id=@ipfix create IPFIX \
     targets=\"172.26.37.124:4739\" \
     obs_domain_id=1 obs_point_id=2 \
     sampling=1 cache_active_timeout=60\
     other_config:enable-tunnel-sampling=true

Just after enabling IPFIX the connectivity between VMs is interrupted.

Then, disabling IPFIX with:

# Disable IPFIX on bridges
sudo ovs-vsctl clear bridge br1 ipfix
sudo ovs-vsctl clear bridge br2 ipfix

Connectivity between VMs is automatically recovered.

Could somebody confirm me whether I'm doing domething wrong?

TIA,
Lluis